Food waste is a global issue that not only affects our food system, but also has negative consequences for our planet’s health. As we become more globally aware of the impact of waste on the planet, it is essential for each of us to recognize the significant role we play in addressing this challenge and preserving our planet’s health.
This year’s Earth 2023 theme, “Invest in Our Planet,” is a powerful call to action for businesses and individuals alike, urging us to put our resources, time, and effort into building a sustainable future. Approximately one-third of all food produced for human consumption is lost or wasted, contributing to deforestation and the depletion of natural resources. Moreover, food waste is responsible for about 8-10% of global CO2 emissions , exacerbating climate change and its harmful effects.
CEO of Winnow Solutions, a ground-breaking company dedicated to reducing food waste through the power of artificial intelligence, Marc Zornes will be speaking on at the upcoming National Restaurant Association show in Chicago taking place from May 20-23, 2023 about how investing in reducing food waste is investing in our planet’s health.
Under Marc’s leadership, Marc and Winnow Solutions mission is to address the global food waste crisis by developing innovative solutions that empower businesses in the hospitality industry to make informed decisions about their food waste management practices.
Since its launch in 2013, Winnow Solutions has experienced significant growth and success in the United States and around the world with clients including IKEA, Hilton, Compass Group and many others. With its unique AI-driven platform, Winnow Solutions is saving its clients approximately $45 million / year in savings.
Winnow Solutions continues to push the boundaries of innovation in the fight against food waste, inspiring businesses around the world to embrace the potential of AI-driven solutions in creating a more sustainable and equitable future for all.
His powerful TED Talk on the issue, “How AI Can Help Solve the World’s Food Waste Problem,” has garnered widespread attention and praise:
See Marc at the National Restaurant Show May 20-23, 2023 where he will discuss:
- How Winnow Solutions can conserve resources:
- The FAO reports that when we waste food, we also waste the resources used in its production, such as water, energy, and land.
- Tips on how foodservice businesses can reduce greenhouse gas emissions:
- Decomposing food waste in landfills generates methane, a potent greenhouse gas that contributes to climate change. In fact, methane is more than 25 times as potent as carbon dioxide at trapping heat in the atmosphere. By reducing food waste, we can decrease methane emissions and help mitigate climate change.
- What should be considered to improve food security:
- Reducing food waste could help increase the availability of food, contributing to global food security and potentially alleviating hunger in vulnerable populations. At the moment, it is estimated that over 800 million people are hungry every day.
For more information about Winnow Solutions visit their website at http://www.winnowsolutions.com