A measure on alcohol licensing

If you’re dreaming of opening your own pub or venue, there’s a lot of work ahead of you. One thing to consider is the need for an alcohol licence. Do you know which type you need? Do you know how to apply for one?

Here’s your starting point: this article, created by business gas mains supplier Flogas, covers everything you need to know about getting an alcohol licence.   


In England and Wales, businesses and venues that are looking to supply or sell alcohol need to have their own licence. These licences are authorised by a licensing authority like the local council. This legislation is overseen by the Home Office, and is defined is as follows:

  1. Businesses that sell or supply alcohol on a permanent basis, such as pubs, need to apply for a premises licence.
  2. Those who plan to authorise the sale of alcohol must apply for a personal licence, alongside the premises licence, if they are also the owner of the business in that premises.

It is standard process that you will need to fill out a form and pay a fee to the local council. As well as the local authority, you will also have to send your application to the police and other responsible authorities; these responsible authorities can include:

  • Local fire and rescue
  • Environmental health authority
  • Local trading standards
  • The primary care trust (PCT) or local health board (LHB)
  • Planning authority
  • Any other licensing authority in whose area part of the premises is located.

Applying for a premises licence

This licence covers any premises (such as a vehicle, vessel, or moveable structure) to partake in the sale of alcohol. To successfully apply for this licence, you will be asked a series of questions including the following:

  • Overall information about your premises, such as the address.
  • Your details as an applicant.
  • The operating schedule, including the proposed licence start date.
  • Which licensable activities you plan to partake in. You should also indicate what days and times you want the licence to be active from. This also includes the provision of regulated entertainment, such as indoor sporting events, live music and recorded music.
  • Under the new licensing laws, you should also stipulate who you wish to be the designated premises supervisor (DPS).
  • When your business will be opening and closing each day.
  • How you aim to promote the four key licensing objectives: the prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, the prevention of public nuisance, the protection of children from harm.
  • The planning of the premises and any advertising on or around the premises that you wish to use.

Applying for a personal licence

Your pub needs to have a premises supervisor who holds a personal licence, but your general pub staff don’t need one.

As the owner of the premises, you will already have a premises licence, but if the business is yours too, you’ll need to apply for a personal licence.

Furthermore, anyone who works in a pub should be authorised to do so by the personal licence holder.

The licence is designed to ensure that anyone managing or running a pub is dong so in a professional manner.

Raise your glass! You now know everything you need to do to get your licence!